Don't Give a Damn About My Bad Reputation

Don't Give a Damn About My Bad Reputation

Monday, February 16, 2015

Post from the Snowpocalypse II

I am now certain I would prefer zombies. 

If a zombie said "Well I guess those global warming people feel pretty silly now!" I would not need to stifle my exasperation. I could axe it in the face.

"You wouldn't see me working for a company that makes employees go to work in a blurricane!" You know, what with all those other jobs with the good companies floating around... Machete to the frontal lobe.

"Is Tim Horton's open?" because although you won't work for a company that expects employees to risk life and limb of themselves and first responders, you fully expect other people too, because you want a cup of really shitty coffee. *wipes brain bits off face and takes swig from flask*

"But I HAD to go to ___ activity/event/place during an RCMP order to stay off the roads! Children would have been disappointed!"  Oh, COME ON!! 

Does the part of our brain that controls arseholey behaviour get snow blindness? More snow is coming later this week. Ugh. I thought I was sick of schlepping through it and trying to get around and do stuff. That is indeed a pain in the ass. I am really, really, sick of schlepping through people's awful attitudes. 

I get complaining about the weather. Fucking look at it. Complaining is all we have. 



Please stop being dicks about people either going to work and/or staying home. Choosing to stay open or to close is never an easy decision for employer or employee. Especially for small local businesses or franchises. Someone will always think that if they want something then it must be "essential".

Regardless of what you think you know about labour code, many employees don't have the choice to stay home without fear of penalty. Call centers are a nightmare about this. The decision to stay home, may not cost  your job but it could mean the difference between a Monday to Friday day shift and working 3:30pm to 11pm for three months, with Tuesday and Wednesday off.

Many employers that do allow their staff to stay home face backlash from pissed off customers. Don't be part of the reason why they have to go to work. You stay home. And while you are there, don't decide a snow day is a great day to call local businesses because you have time. Don't call for take-out.

We get the head's up on these storms a week ahead of time. Make at least a half assed attempt to have stuff you need on hand. "But my special snowflake wants McDonald's" is a stupid, stupid reason to go out and a selfish ridiculous reason to encourage employers to stay open during bad weather. 

Winter is HERE. Grab your #stormchips, gird your loins, and if you cannot do anything to make the snowpocalypse easier for the  people around you, don't go out of your way to make it harder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment